Tuesday, September 10, 2013

From New York to Stockholm, fall in love with Mimi Plange


I love the Scandi simplicity but I have to admit that seeing Mimi Plange's show was like breathing fresh air in a warm summer day...
Mi piace la linearità scandinava, ma devo ammettere ch vedere la sfilata di Mimi Plange è stato come respirare una boccata di aria fresca in una calda giornata estiva...
 
She had me in the precise moment when a magnificent flower print dress walked down the catwalk of the Stockholm fashion week followed by a wave of mesmerizing floral beauties. So I decided to investigate a bit more and I discovered that the Ghanian, New York based, designer Mimi is one of André Talley Leon favourites and that she worked with the shoe guru Manilo Blahnik. Mix that with a collection that is still one of the best that I've seen this season on the catwalks, and you'll surely understand why I wanted to know more. So I asked Mimi for an interview and she was so kind to take the time to reply to my questions...

Let´s start with a question about you. Reading your biography I found really interesting that you studied architecture. How did you decide to change your career and become a fashion designer?
I spent a small portion of my life with an architect uncle who exposed me to the arts. I grew up in a household that felt that a future in the arts was not sustainable or consistent. But, after seeing my first runway show at 11, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I initially choose architecture because I wanted to have design in my life, like my uncle, and listen to my mother's concerns about being an 'artist' After reading about Gianfranco Ferré and his architecture/fashion background, I felt inspired that having a background in architecture would only improve my design process and I to go from architecture to fashion.

In your "previous designer life" you created shoes and jewelry. Do you ever miss anything about designing accessories?
My first job in the Fashion Industry was a merchandising position at a young tween accessories company that made fun affordable jewelry. At my own label, I have had the honor of collaborating with the legendary Manolo Blahnik on custom shoes for our collections. I don't miss designing accessories because I still do it! We make custom accessories including bags and scarves for our private clients.

One of the models that Mimi designed for Manolo


Before your show in Stockholm there was an hashtag on the catwalk #thedemocratizationofluxury. Do you really think that luxury is supposed to be democratic? And how could that be possible?
I think luxury has already been democratized; With the emerging of a mass class of wealthy people all throughout the world. Luxury is no longer the token of social status.
The Democratization of luxury in my point of view means taking care of yourself, loving yourself, in order to improve your quality of your life and your personal satisfaction. Its become more of a personal experience than a social one, and it is becoming more and more available for a huge amount of people.
In the future the people will build the brands with their voices. This new cycle will be more holistic, and purely about self expression.


For your show in Stockholm you collaborated with the stylist Emma Elwin who is famous for her really Scandi and minimalist taste. How was working with Emma and do you think her "minimalist touch" influenced somehow the way your collection was presented?
 Emma was the perfect stylist for me to work with! I love decorated textiles and texture, but when it comes to silhouette, I love clean lines. My architecture background has gifted me the sensibility of looking at a women's body as my landscape. How do I provide solutions? When and where shall I accentuate? I've never used jewelry in my shows and prefer an minimal look with structured hair so working with Emma was complimentary! I agreed with her entirely. I love her own sense of style and believe she was able to see the collection structurally and romantically, as I did.

What was the inspiration for your SS collection? And in particular is there any direct reference to the flower print? I was literally amazed by it, seeing all the pieces walking down the runway was like being in print heaven.
Thank you so much! I am obsessed with Victorian florals, and often use them as inspirations for color and graphic compositions. I create all of my custom prints on Illustrator and Photoshop using a mix of flowers I have drawn and vintage victorian textiles. This particular print was inspired by a victorian garden painting and Botswana's national bird, the lilac breasted roller.

Looking at all your collection I can see a "fill rouge" of bright colors and floral prints. Do you consider those your signature?
I say that texture, color and romantic prints are definitely signatures of mine.
I also love working with muted tones and soft pastels, that I often combine with a bright pop of color.

If you could have any woman, from the present or the past, wearing your collection. Who would she be?
Sheika Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned

Who is/are your favorite designer(s) and if you could, what talent would you steal from him/her/them?
I always loved Yves Saint Laurent and Azzadine Alaia. I wouldn't steal any talent simply because I feel that ever designer is bringing something different to fashion, it must purely come from you!

I am curious about hearing your opinion on some trends. So hot or not..
Chain bootsho: hot
Punk couture: hot
The grunge renaissance: not
Lug sole shoes: not


Mi ha conquistata nell'esatto momento in cui un magnifico vestito fiorato è apparso sulla passerella della settimana della moda di Stoccolma, seguito da un'onda di incantevoli abiti floreali. Ho così deciso di investigare un po' e ho scoperto che Mimi, designer di origini ganesi ma ormai di casa a New York, è stata segnalata come talento da tenere sott'occhio da André Talley Leon e che ha collaborato con il guru delle scarpe Manolo Blahnik. Aggiungete a questo il fatto che la sua collezione è una delle più belle che io abbia visto fin'ora in passerella, e capirete che non potevo non saperne di più su di lei. Ho così chiesto a Mimi di fare un'intervista e lei è stata così gentile da rispondere ad alcune delle mie domande...

Iniziamo con una domanda su di te. Leggendo la tua biografia ho trovato molto interessante che tu abbia studiato architettura. Come mai hai deciso di cambiare la tua carriera e di diventare una stilista?

Ho passato una piccola parte della mia vita con uno zio architetto, che mi a introdotta all´arte. Sono cresciuta in una famiglia in cui un futuro come artita non era considerato fattibile o sostenibile. Ma, dopo aver visto la mia prima sfilata a 11 anni, ho capito che da grande avrei voluto fare la stilista. Inizialmente ho scelto architettura perchè volevo che il design facesse parte della mia vita, esattamente come mio zio, e anche perchè ho ascoltato le preoccupazioni di mia madre che non voleva che diventassi un´”artista”. Sono stata fortmente ispirata dopo aver letto che Gianfranco Ferré ha avuto una formazione da architetto e ho capito che un backgroud in architettura non poteva che essere un plus nella mia carriera da stilista e cosí ho deciso di fare il grande passo e di buttarmi nel mondo della moda.


Nella tua “vita precedente” come designer hai creato scarpe e gioielli. C´è qualcosa che ti manca del disegnare accessori?

Il primo lavoro che ho avuo nella moda é stato nel merchandising per una compagnia che produceva gioielli per bambine e teenager. Da quando ho creato la mia linea ho avuto l´onore di collaborare con il leggendario Manolo Blahnik. Non mi manca nulla del disegnare accessori, perchè ancora li disegno! Creo accessori su misura come borse e scarpe per i miei clienti.

Prima dela tua sfilata a Stoccolma ho notato un hashtag sulla passerella #thedemocratizationofluxury. Pensi davvero che il lusso debba essere democratico? E se sí, come credi sia possibile?

Penso che il lusso sia già stato democrratizzato, attraverso i nuovi ricchi, che sono sempre di più in tutto il mondo, il lusso non è più un chiaro segno di uno stato sociale.
 

La democratizzazione del lusso per me significa prendersi cura di sè stessi, amarsi, per aumentare la qualitá della propria vita e la propria soddisfazione personale. È più un´esperienza personale che uno status sociale, ed è per questo che per me è sempre più alla portata di un numero maggiore di persone.
In un futuro le persone creeranno brands loro stessi, brand che li rappresentino appieno e abbiano la loro voce, Questo nuovo ciclo sarà più olistico e puramente dedicato all´espressione personale.

Per la tua sfilata a Stoccolma hai collaborato con la stylist Emma Elwin che è famosa per il suo gusto scandinavo e minimalista. Com´è stato lavorare con Emma e credi che il suo “tocco minimal” abbia in qualche modo influenzato la collezione che hai presentato?

Emma è stata per me la stylist perfetta! Adoro le stampe e le texture importanti, ma quando si parla di linee e silhoettes, adoro essere semplice. I miei studi in architettura mi hanno educata a guardare al corpo delle donnre come al mio paesaggio. Come posso esaltarlo, accentuarlo, definirlo? Non utilizzo mai gioielli per le mie sfilate, preferisco un gusto minimal con un accento sulla pettinatura, quindi lavorae con Emma è stato per me complementare! Ci siamo sempre trovate d´accordo. Adoro il suo senso dello stile e sono convinta che lei sia stata in grado di vedere la prte strutturale e romantica della collezione esattamente come la vedo io.


A detail of the structured hair

Qual è stata la tua ispirazione per la collezione PE? E in particolare per la stampa a fiori che hai presentato in passerella? Mi ha completamente ipnotizzata, era come stare in un paradiso di fiori.
Grazie! Sono ossessionata dalle stampe a fiori vittoriane e spesso le utilizzo come ispirazione per i colori e la composizione grafica. Creo tutte le mie stampe con Photoshop usando un mix di fiori che disegno io e di tessuti vittoriani vintage. Questa stampa in particolare è stata ispirata da un quadro vittoriano e dall´uccello nazionale del Bottswana, la ghiandaia marina pettolilla


Guardando le tue collezioni posso vedere un “fil rouge” fatto di colori forti e fantasie floreali. Credi che questi due elementi facciano parte della tua firma distintiva?

Credo che le texture, i colori vivi e le stampe romantiche siano parte integrante del mio stile.

Mi piace anche lavorare con i colori neutri e i toni pastello, che mi piace combinare con tocchi di colore pop.

Se potessi scegliere una donna, del presente o del passato, che indossasse i tuoi abiti, chi sarebbe?

Sheika Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned


Chi è/sono il tuo stilista/i preferito/i e, se potessi, che talento vorresti rubargli?
Ho sempre amato Yves Saint Laurent e Azzadine Alaia, ma non ruberei loro nessun talento perché ritengo che ogni stilista possa creare qualcosa di nuovo e innovativo solamente se viene da lui stesso.


Sono curiosa di sapere cosa ne pensi di alcuni trend di questa stagione. Quindi hot or not..

Stivali con le catene: hot
Punk couture: hot
La grunge renaissance: not
Scarpe con la suola carroarmato: not




I am absolutely in love with the combination of jersey ad floral print




  If you like my blog, follow me on Facebook, Bloglovin, Twitter. I love my followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...