Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Great Gatsby: to see it or not to see it?


It is the hot-movie of the moment, the one that everyone talks about and that everybody wants to see. But can The Great Gatsby really meet all the expectations?
E' sicuramente il film del momento, quello di cui tutti parlano e che tutti vogliono vedere, ma Il Grande Gatsby è davvero all'altezza delle aspettative?

I saw the movie last week, as soon as it was released in the cinemas and I must admit that my expectations for Gatsby were really high. I mean, mix Baz Luhrmann's eye, the amazing Leonardo Di Caprio and the costumes designed by Miuccia Prada, you can't go wrong … or maybe you can because I was a bit disappointed when I left the theater. Why? Here are my pros and cons.

The production of the movie is magnificent, but I honestly was expecting more from the director's eye. There was not that much moulin rouge and too much of Australia in that movie to me. Cons.

I can't understand how an actress like Carey Muligan, with her soft voice and her not outstanding personality, can embody a woman like Daisy, capable to charm everyone she meets. Cons.

Suberb, that is the best adjective I can think about to describe Leonardo Di Caprio's performance. Once again he is able to give all the facets of a really complex character like Gatsby. I really don't understand what the academy is waiting for to give him the Oscar. Pro, pro and pro!!

The costumes, especially the ones of the two big parties, are by themselves a big reason to go and see the movie. You can really see Miuccia Prada's touch in them and it's a joy to recognize some of her big creations of the last years like the chandelier dress, the two-tones fur scarf or the woven rafia sandals. Absolutely a pro.

The music: remixing old and new song is nothing innovative, but Jay-z arrangements and Lana Del Rey's hit will be stuck in your head. I am not sure if this is good or bad.

In the end I would go to see the movie, but don't have too high expectations and when you saw it, let me know what you think.







Prada costumes for The Great Gatsby, just amazing. Absolutely a pro to see the movie


Io sono andata a vederlo la settimana scorsa, appena uscito nelle sale e devo ammettere che le mie aspettative erano altissime. Baz Luhrmann e il suo occhio dietro la macchina da presa,  Leonardo Di Caprio, che adoro, e Miuccia Prada per i costumi, che si può volere di più? Devo però ammettere che sono uscita dalla sala con un po' di amaro in bocca. Perchè? Ecco i miei pro e contro

La produzione del film è assolutamente impeccabile, ma mi aspettavo di vedere qualcosa di più innovativo da Baz Luhrmann. C'è poco moulin rounge e troppo Australia in questo film. Contro.

Non si riesce a capire come un'attrice come Carey Muligan con la sua voce sottile e la personalità non esaltante possa impersonificare una donna che fa perdere la testa a chiunque la incontri come Daisy. Contro.

Magnifica, nessun'altra aggettivo può descrivere meglio la performance di Leonardo di Caprio che, ancora una volta, riesce a rappresentare alla perfezione un personaggio complesso come Gatsby. Non capisco cosa stiano aspettando ancora per dargli un oscar. Pro, pro, pro!!

I costumi, soprattutto quelli delle due grandi feste, valgono da soli tutto il film. Si vede che c'è la mano di Miuccia Prada ed è un piacere riconoscere le reinterpretazioni dei suoi grandi classici come la coda in pelliccia bicolore, l'abito chandelier e i sandali in rafia intrecciata. Solo loro valgono tutto il film. Assolutamente pro.

La musica: utilizzare canzoni moderne e remixarle con brani jazz non è nulla di originale, ma gli arrangiamenti di Jay-z  e il tormentone di Lana del Rey, vi rimarranno sicuramente ben impressi nella mente. Non sono sicura se sia un bene o un male.

Alla fine della lista io andrei a vedere il film, ma senza avere troppe aspettative. E se decidete di farlo, fatemi sapere che ne pensate.





Carey Muligan might look amazing in these shoots from Vogue America, 
but her Daisy didn't convince me at all



  If you like my blog, follow me on Facebook, Bloglovin, Twitter. I love my followers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it but I would go just because it's Baz Luhrman and I love his visuals.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...